3.04.2009

*The* Centerpieces (A DIY Project)

As you remember, I decided on using dried flowers for our centerpieces- with the focal piece being dried wheat. In order to get more inspiration, I visited the dried floral sections of Hobby Lobby, Michael's, and Garden Ridge. I bought a few supplies and took them home for some experimentation. Finally a few trials and errors... I finalized two different designs for our centerpieces.

I used dried wheat, on the left and dried setaria(deep purple), on the right- I'm not exactly sure what that is, but it matches our color scheme perfectly. :)

Centerpiece #1:


Centerpiece #2:

I originally came up with this (shown below) for the second centerpiece, but dried lavender is a little more expensive than the other supplies and it breaks really easily, which makes it hard to work with.


Then I came up with this:



A while ago I created a mock table set up using some eggplant-colored fabric to simulate the table sashes (chair sashes used as table runners) that we are renting and a white duvet cover (excuse the wrinkles) to act as the table linens provided by our venue. I found the votive holders on sale at IKEA. All other supplies were bought on sale at either Hobby Lobby or Michael's. I used votive candles that I already had because I want to wait until we get closer to October to purchase the candles we will actually use to avoid getting candle discoloration.

Here's a breakdown of the cost for Centerpiece 1:
2/3 bunch of wheat
Regular Price: $5.99/bunch = ~$4.00/ 2/3 bunch
Sale (1/2 off at Hobby Lobby): ~$2.00/ 2/3 bunch

1/2 bunch setaria
Regular Price: $4.99/bunch= ~$2.50/half bunch
Sale (1/2 off at Hobby Lobby): ~$1.25/half bunch

Vase
Regular Price: $7.99
Sale (1/2 off at Hobby Lobby): ~$4.00

Lavender potpourri*
Regular Price: $4.99
Sale (40% off at Michaels): ~$3.00

Votive holders
Regular Price: ?
Sale (IKEA): $1.50/4 votive holders

Votive candles
I haven't bought these yet, but I'm not planning on spending more than $1.00/ 4 votive candles.

Eggplant table sashes:
Renting them for $2.00/ sash

Grand Total: $14.74**
Woohoo! Within my budget!

Centerpiece #2:
Twig/Branch Wreath
Regular Price: $6.99
Sale (1/2 off at Hobby Lobby): ~$3.50

1/2 bunch of wheat
Regular Price: $5.99/bunch = ~$3.00/half bunch
Sale (1/2 off at Hobby Lobby): ~$1.50/half bunch

1/2 bunch setaria
Regular Price: $4.99/bunch= ~$2.50/half bunch
Sale (1/2 off at Hobby Lobby): ~$1.25/half bunch

Misc. from silk flower section:
Regular: $1.40
Sale (1/2 off at Hobby Lobby): $0.70

Vase
Regular Price: $7.99
Sale (1/2 off at Hobby Lobby): ~$4.00

Vanilla scented candle (smells soooo good)
Again, I haven't purchased all of these yet, but they go on sale regularly at Hobby Lobby.
Regular Price: $5.99
Sale(1/2 off at Hobby Lobby): ~$3.00

Eggplant table sashes:
Renting them for $2.00/ sash

Grand Total: $15.95
Almost under budget....close enough :)

I would strongly suggest that those of you still in the process of planning should "Shop Sales." Since I figured out what I wanted to do for the centerpieces way ahead of time (a year out), I am able to shop for the items I need only when they go on sale. If they run out, I wait until they restock. I don't have to buy everything at once, which is much easier on my checkbook. Hobby Lobby runs their sales pretty regularly- the items I need are on sale at least once a month, if not more. Michael's usually offers a weekly coupon. My day-of-coordinator suggested that we use table sashes to add some more color to the tables.

Centerpiece #1 shown with a table sash:


I can't believe what a good idea this is! It's a much cheaper alternative to renting an entire table linen(which can be anywhere from $10-$25/table- eek!) It's also cheaper than renting a table runner and, although it is a little less wide, it provides the same effect and really brings out the purple setaria in the centerpiece. I think it makes the potpourri appear more purple too. I love my DOC! :) (More on that decision a bit later.)

Are you planning your wedding around sales? Anyone else using dried flowers?


*I had originally found some potpourri at Garden Ridge. For $1.50/bag. I was so excited to find something this inexpensive! So I bought a bag and experimented . I liked it. Alot. Then I went back to get some more. They were out :( And they didn't restock it because they it was clearanced out. If you find something you need for your wedding projects... make sure 1)they are not on clearance 2) if they are on clearance, buy it. now.

No comments:

Post a Comment