4.18.2009

Bridal Tea: Gifts for the Guests

This weekend, my FMIL hosted my first bridal shower. I knew she was bringing a gift for all the guests, and since I wasn't sure what the proper etiquette was,I decided to get a quick gift together for all the guests as well. Since the shower was a "tea party" theme, I thought a tea themed gift would be appropriate. I went to Hobby Lobby yesterday to pick up some paper bags, which were kind of expensive... and I also found some at Target which were really cheap.

However, the Target bags were really wrinkled and were kind of lopsided when I tried to stand them up... so I went with the alternative. (Lesson learned: cheap is not always better). I also picked up two boxes of tea (what else?) and a package of cookies from Target. I supplemented this with some more cookies that I baked Saturday morning... thank you Martha Stewart.
I trimmed the top of the bags to create the bumpy edge. I created slits in the paper bag with an exacto knife and just pulled a ribbon (bought from Hobby Lobby- isn't it tea partyish?) through, tied a pretty knot, and snipped the ends. Unfortunately, this project was kind of thrown together at the last minute because, like the rest of Austin, I was suffering from severe allergies for most of last week. However, I think the guests still enjoyed it and appreciated the thought and effort.

Martha Stewart's Recipe for French Butter Cookies:
1 c unstalted butter, room temp.
2/3 c packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 c flower(sifted)
1 tsp kosher salt (I didn't include this and they tasted fine)
1/2 c granulated sugar

1. Combine sugar & brown sugar in an electric mixer and cream on high speed until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla and mix to combine. Add the flour and salt, and mix on low speed until the flour is incorporated.
2. Roll the dough into 3-1 1/2 in. diameter logs. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour or overnight (I refrigerated mine overnight).
3. Preheat oven to 350. Line baking sheet w/ parchment paper (I used wax paper). Roll the cookie logs in the granulated sugar, coating them evenly, and slice into 1/4 in. rounds. Place them on a baking sheet about 1 in. apart.
4. Bake until golden brown, 15 to 20 mins. Remove from baking sheet and let cool completely. Cookies will keep at room temperature in an airtight container up to 1 week.

Anyone else stumbling through wedding etiquette 101? Are you giving your guests gifts at your shower?

1 comment: