9.08.2009

Letting Go

Confession: I have a really hard time asking for help. I think I can do everything on my own (and by "everything", I mean everything) and even when help is offered, I usually, politely, turn it down. I would like to think that this is because I don't want to burden anyone with mindless wedding tasks that I'm scrambling to get done (thank you, procrastination). However, I think the underlying issue is this: somehow I think that my projects will only get done "right" if I do them myself. All by myself. Alone. (Now that I've put that out there, I'll admit, I feel a tad bit embarrassed).
Maybe I think they'll be less DIY if I don't actually do them alone, maybe it's genetics (hehe...I've noticed Papa Beagle has the same tendencies :) ), either way, if I don't learn to "let go" asap, I'm going to enjoy many sleepless nights over the next 6 weeks. I'm working to get over the fact that not everything may come out perfect (or at least perfect in my mind) because these people that are offering to help, my friends and my family, actually want to be a part of this big party we're throwing next month. And when I think about it that way, it kind of softens my heart a little; it makes it just a tiny bit easier to hand over a project to someone else.
So this past weekend, when FMIL Beagle, offered to help me assemble our invitations, I let go of my need to do it alone, and accepted her offer. As it turns out, we actually had a good time- we got a lot done, we chatted, and it wasn't as painful as I anticipated.
Am I alone on this boat? Is anyone else having a hard time asking for or accepting help from their friends and family? Any tips for a newbie?

No comments:

Post a Comment